Friday 1 June 2007

Wine and cancer

Source: Science Daily

Hello there. I'm back with some more interesting news. I have already posted an article connecting drinking and cancer. Now, to buttress this post, I have found another one.

Researchers have found that regular intake of a limited amount of wine was found to reduce the risk of prostate cancer. This was conducted on persons aged between 40 and 64.

And that is not all folks. They have obtained these results on both red wine and white wine. Red wine was found to be more effective.

The exact reason for these effects is currently not known to the scientists but they speculate that it could be because of flavonoids and resveratrol found in wine. These compounds were apparently missing in the other alcoholic beverages like whisky, etc...

The thing to be noted here is that this research is not yet fully complete and this is one reason why the researchers are not recommending people to consume wine.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe there is much to be learned about the benefits of fermentation. (at least for the general public) Since wine is made from the lacto-fermentation process, it would make sense that non-commercially processed wine has similar benefits as mentioned in the quote below.

I found a good quote from Sally Fallon who wrote Nourishing Traditions:

"The proliferation of lactobacilli in fermented vegetables enhances their digestibility and increases vitamin levels. These beneficial organisms produce numerous helpful enzymes as well as antibiotic and anticarcinogenic substances. Their main by-product, lactic acid, not only keeps vegetables and fruits in a state of perfect preservation but also promotes the growth of healthy flora throughout the intestine. Other alchemical by-products include hydrogen peroxide and small amounts of benzoic acid."
http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/lacto.html

Anonymous said...

The trouble is, I find people quoting this research as they guzzle down their 3rd or 4th glass. I think a very limited amount would be ok, but this is not always stressed. Someone told me they drank red wine for its iron content. I'm not so sure about that either.
Respect, Kaetie
http://kaetiekalfou.eponym.com

Anonymous said...

Hi all I like that wine fights cancer I have found so many diff foods that can kill cancer cells I posted on my blog